Compiling Android kernel

To: ALL1 of 8
Anyone here have any experience with compiling Android kernels or kernel modules?

I tried a while ago to get my Xbox 360 pad working with my Note 2 with no success and since installing CyanogenMod on it last week I thought I'd try again. Still no luck unfortunately, without having the correct xpad.ko I believe, or the driver compiled into the kernel.

I had a quick try last night (up til 2.30am :S) and sort of got somewhere but either had the wrong gcc version of the toolchain setup incorrectly, or something else possibly.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 2 of 8
Oh, I don't know what I'm doing. Followed a couple of guides and tried things different ways but I'm still getting errors, different to last night now though. Got one more thing to try, a guide on a youtube video to setupĀ arm-none-eabi-gcc. After that I think I'll just give up becuase it's too much faffing :(
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 3 of 8
I thought android only ran on arm cpus. But a quick google shows it will also run on x86 and mips. Isn't xbox ppc? Er, ah, I reread your post and see you are just trying to get a controller working, not run android on xbox. Seems like a lot of bother though, compiling the kernel for it? I'm (probably) going to root my nexus 7 eventually, and try stuff like plasma and some linux distro on it.
EDITED: 29 May 2013 02:00 by DSMITHHFX
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 4 of 8
Yeah, sounds like a huge amount of effort with about a million places where it could fail.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a vid of someone plugging an xbox controller into a Nexus 7 and using it with no modifications (beyond rooting, which is necessary to allow USB stuff). So maybe see if you can get a later Android on there?

I believe (may be mistaken) that there's no longer such a thing as the Android Kernel (I mean, technically there never was but y'know what I mean) since it's been merged with mainline. Which is perhaps why it just works now (if my half-remembered facts are true).
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 5 of 8
I dunno, from what I understand it just uses a modified linux kernel. Plenty of build kernel guides and custom kernels to flash.

I did see a post on XDA with drivers for the xpad for one of the nexus devices, not sure if it works straight out of the box, but doesn't work on my phone. I can use Joystick Center to emulate key presses with the pad so it'll work with emulators and such but not a recognised gamepad allowing analog stuff in GTA, etc.

I think I've given up though. Too much faff and too many options and different toolchains and configs that need to buy just right to compile. Maybe a nice person on XDA will do it.

I was just going to bed when you posted that, saw it but didn't want to reply in case I stayed up more hours.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 6 of 8
I think you made the right decision :Y
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 7 of 8
:( I started getting somewhere and the compiler actually did some bits last night but got stuck quite quickly. Never mind.
To: ALL8 of 8
I do have one more thing to try later. I was using the wrong defconfig first so I'll try the correct one with the first toolchain I was using.

The easiest thing would be to buy a bluetooth controller which should just work. I'm not doing that for something I'll rarely use though.