Would you rather...

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 12 of 104
You're rightm there's no arguing that - but why does the fact that, given enough effort someone can kill you anyway, mean we should legalise firearm ownership? And why should I be allowed to own an AR-15, but not, say, a mortar? Or an RPG?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 13 of 104
What a strange question. Do we have to sit quietly and let it happen? I'd opt for the cleavers if not, since it gives me a rather greater chance of escape than some bullets.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 14 of 104
Well, in all actuality - around these parts anyway - you just don't know who might have a gun on them. That acts as a deterrent.  Do you think those guys would have accomplished what they did to that poor soldier had he been carrying a 9mm or a 45 on him?  Of course they certainly might have still killed him because even people who carry guns get killed, jumped and can't defend themselves, stuff like that. But I think in most cases you would have a better chance with a gun than without.

I agree, sorta, about the assault weapons. It's so ingrained in us that we think we have the right to own any type of gun.  I have friends who do shoot those types of things just for fun, so I can't say they have no purpose other than to kill, but that's their main purpose. I also have friends who own 50 cal. What is the purpose of a gun like that? Shooting a tank? Fucking crazy gun! But we are allowed to buy them so we do (not me, us in general).

I think if you stop and think about it, unless you're being silly, you can see the difference between an automatic weapon and a mortar or bomb or missile.  
To: milko 15 of 104
Yeah I don't know why I even thought about it.  When I heard it on the radio I just thought about how horrible it would be to die that way.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 16 of 104
If that deterrent thing is true, why are there so many murders in the USA? Psk, this thread won't work.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 17 of 104
Agreed on that! I kinda hope he was dead just from the start where they apparently ran him over with their car. 

Fucking weird in all ways - crowds of people stood around in the aftermath while the two waited for the police to show up, just milling about. And that incredibly brave woman talking to them... whole thing is just surreal really.

It's not a good neighbourhood, Woolwich. 
To: milko 18 of 104
There are a lot of murders all around the world. People kill people, that's the point.  People were being stoned to death or racked long before guns.

Sorry, it was just something I was thinking about.  I didn't start it to piss anyone off.
To: milko 19 of 104
People are fucking insane.  I just wish we could get along.  How hard is it to live and let live? The idea of having to kill someone because they have different ideas than you is something I will never be able to understand. 
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 20 of 104
I think part of the problem may well be that there's too many of us.

If we thinned out the population a bit then there'd less people around who'd want to do any killing. Also people would be more spread out. It's hard to kill anyone when you're 5 miles away from them. Unless you own mortars.

Seriously though, it's a hideous thing to take the life of another person, and responding by wanting to maim, torture and kill those responsible is equally reprehensible. Foregoing a debate on the death penalty or capital punishment, you can't just take a life for a life. S'a vicious circle innit?

To: graphitone 21 of 104
Yup. I used to be in favor of the death penalty, but we've made so many mistakes, ie, killing innocent people and finding out after the fact, that I can't support it anymore.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 22 of 104
The bottom line is that to be in favour of it, you've got to say it's ok to take a human life. Don't think I could ever sign up to something like that.
To: graphitone 23 of 104
There are times when I think I could, and could actually probably do it. But I know I'd regret it.  There are just people we'd be better off without.  Someone who is nothing but evil and does nothing but harm others has no other purpose. Granted, they could change, but probably wouldn't. Those are the people I don't have a problem being killed.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 24 of 104
It does matter if you have guns or not.

Yes, if someone wants to kill someone they will probably manage it with or without guns being easily available but I still think someone has a better chance of surviving a knife attack than a gun attack.

One of the two people involved in the incident apparently had a gun. So obviously if you want to get hold of one over here it is possible, as has been mentioned many times before.

I just won't ever think legal gun ownership like in the US is ever going to be a good idea. The thought that people like those would have easier access to firearms is frightening to me. More crazy people with better access to guns is never a good state of affairs.

Whilst gun ownership might act as a deterrent I honestly believe it also results in people living in constant fear.

Then you look at the aspect of kids accidentally shooting each other. There's definitely been a number of stories like that in the news lately. What's all that about?
To: ANT_THOMAS 25 of 104
That's all about gun owners who don't take responsibility and keep their gun locked or someplace a child can't get it.

I don't live in constant fear. I like to pretend that the mere site of me puts other people in fear. It makes me feel powerful.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 26 of 104
And there's plenty of people who are totally irresponsible so not letting them near guns legally is a good thing.

If not being able to own guns legally means the irresponsible parents can't buy them and it also means it's more difficult for the crazy people to buy them I'm more than happy to be totally unarmed.

I honestly believe that if we could legally own guns over here then last night someone else would have been killed in the aftermath with the likes of the EDL making their presence known.
To: ANT_THOMAS 27 of 104
Well there's another side to that.  If you don't allow people to legally own guns you are only addressing the people who follow the law.  Now you have an unarmed population who can't protect themselves from the people who do have guns. The people who have no intention to follow the laws. Removing every gun from the planet is impossible.  And now we are able to print them on a 3D printer, it's going to get real ugly.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 28 of 104
It would be much uglier if everyone had guns.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 29 of 104
It may be a view which you can't grasp but I am more than happy to be part of the unarmed population.
To: ANT_THOMAS 30 of 104
No, you're right I can't, because I've been around them since birth.  So it's just something we have.  If you're taught right from an early age there isn't anything to be afraid of and you know to respect it.

I kinda wish nobody knew anything about guns but it's too late for that.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 31 of 104
>>And now we are able to print them on a 3D printer, it's going to get real ugly.

:'D you don't actually believe that shit, do you?