Windows 7 Workgroup Hell

To: ALL1 of 23
Er, I mean Help!

Bought mrs.D a 'new' (/off-lease) pc with windows 7 home fule edition preinstalled. I can't get it to log onto the old pc (running w2k) because of some weird workgroup shite. The workgroup defined on the old pc is "HOME", and that's what I set the new one to. But when I open the Network and Sharing Center it is showing "Workgroup: WORKGROUP" at the bottom. WTF. Well, I can see the old pc on the network, but when I try to login with known good credentials for a couple of users, it always rejects the password. Moreover, it insists on pasting her new computer name as a "domain" in front of whatever user name I happen to enter. WTF. But wait, there's more: when I browse the network from my linux boxen, it is now showing 2 workgroups: "HOME" and "WORKGROUP". How fucked up is that?

Scream shots to cum...
EDITED: 22 Feb 2013 22:36 by DSMITHHFX
To: ALL2 of 23
Attachments:
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 3 of 23
Workgroups are a waste of space. Just use UNC paths, by either typing into an explorer address bar or start run:

\\[IP Address of PC you want to get to]\

And when asked for credentials

[name of PC you want to get to]\[username which works on that PC]

To get to drives use the administrative shares. These are the drive letter followed by $.

E.g

\\192.168.1.1\c$
To: Dan (HERMAND) 4 of 23
Still not accepting my passwords, which I feel (perhaps wrongly) has something to do with the "domain" it insists on prefixing the user name with. Is the name of the computer I'm trying to reach legitimately a "domain" ?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 5 of 23
It's not denoting a domain, as such, think of it more of an authentication point. So, yes, if you want to get to a machine then you need to use that machines name there.

You're definitely using a username and password that exists on that machine? In the format:

DANS-PC\Dan
MyPassword
EDITED: 22 Feb 2013 23:50 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 6 of 23
I agree on the Homegroup thing, but to be honest I've never tried them!  I suppose it's good for people who don't really know anything about networking.
To: ALL7 of 23
Hilarious: I was able to connect to a Win 7 share from w2k straight up, with no hassles. Which is more secure: w7, or w2k?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 8 of 23
Homegroup only works if the other pcs are also running Windows 7
EDITED: 23 Feb 2013 00:16 by DSMITHHFX
To: Dan (HERMAND) 9 of 23
Yep, that's what I tried, no joy. No matter, I can copy the files by connecting from the old pc.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 10 of 23
Pretty sure 8 has them too, but not positive.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 11 of 23
If that is happening, I'd be inclined to blame the Win 2K box for stopping the Win 7 box from connecting to it. Something to do with its network settings maybe? No firewall stopping anything is there?

Are you able to turn off Simple Sharing on the edition of Windows 7 you have?
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 12 of 23
Try creating a new user account on the 2k box, thats what i had to do to get XP to talk to 7. Also theres a cache somewhere of credentials on win 7, could be using wrong details from that?
To: koswix 13 of 23
It could be the 2k box, it was acting flaky when I tried to browse it from linux: at first I could, then I couldn't. It's been so long since I needed to do any networking to it I've completely forgotten what I may have done. And yes, it does have a firewall (an ancient version of zonealarm), though poking around didn't yield any insights into the problem. Anyway, it seems to be a moot point. Nice thing about win7 is that it detected and installed drivers for our printer (which I had neglected to do) as soon as I plugged it in. mrs.D on first inspection seems well pleased with it, though a bit taken aback by some of the changes (she's been on 2k since forever).
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 14 of 23
quote:
she's been on 2k since forever

Since circa 2000, shirley?

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 15 of 23
Zonealarm will definitely1 be the problem. You shouldn't need it if you're behind a router, unless you're monitoring outbound traffic? Stop it (or better still remove it entirely) and the network shares will probably work2.

1 Not guaranteed. 2 Also not a guaranteed.
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 16 of 23
Cripes - zone alarm is a name I've not heard for ages.

What Matt said - just uninstall it!
To: Dan (HERMAND) 17 of 23
I use it to keep jimmy from phoning home -- it's highly efective for that if nothing else.

Anyway, after swapping in the new pc and setting up the old on my junkpile desk, the old is allowing network connections per usual (and this after sorting out that I plugged the cable into the wrong nic when I moved it). So maybe everything just had to be rebooted to sort itself out.

I had to use a keyboard that is so grungy it looks like it was puked on, even though it wasn't, not that I can remember. Well, maybe... Ick.

Damn. spoke too soon. Well, I can now connect to the old pc from linux, but Win 7 is still choking on the password. In my browsing yesterday I did come across some password problems that need to be addressed by a registry modification, which is apparently for pro versions, since I couldn't find the key in home premium.
EDITED: 23 Feb 2013 17:57 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 18 of 23
:D
To: ALL19 of 23

http://www.tannerwilliamson.com/2009/09/14/windows-7-seven-network-file-sharing-fix-samba-smb/

Windows 7 Home Premium users, READ THIS:

Windows 7 Home premium users do not have the ability to follow the above instructions, and will instead have to do these instructions contributed by commenter “James”.

FOR HOME EDITION
1 . Open registry editor ( Start search – regedit)
2 . Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Create a new DWORD value with the following properties:
NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel
VALUE: 1
4. Restart your PC and try the connection again…

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 20 of 23
2009? I wonder how relevant that still is. Seems like a several of the comments are from people who are trying to connect to consumer hardware devices (Squeezebox, Synology NAS, etc.) that is running Samba and thus probably a really old and out of date version of it.

I've never had any such problems with Windows 7 accessing Samba shares on my server running Ubuntu 12.04, or vice-versa for that matter.