Someone Build This For Me!

To: ALL1 of 32
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 2 of 32
i like the exposed PC in the desk, don't see the point of the adjustable height though, I's use that once (maybe)
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 3 of 32
It looks pretty now, but how long before the insides get caked with dust?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 4 of 32
That is pretty pointless. And also the desk thing moves so slowly.

And yeah, the fans blowing (or sucking) right at where the user sits is pretty stupid. Water cooling (shit as it is) would make more sense or, better, passive cooling.

I guess if you've got too much money and want to literally piss it down the drain, that's a pretty good way to do it.
To: ALL5 of 32
Wow you are all a bunch of grumps!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 6 of 32
I'm intrigued by the whole "standing desk" thing. But you can build one for fifty quid using Ikea stuff, plus the cost of a bar stool for when you want to sit down. As for the PC, I'd rather it was silent and hidden away somwhere. Even the  fairly quiet black case that's under my desk at the moment is a bit too obvious.
To: patch 7 of 32
Standing is nice, especially when you have a bad back like I do.

I agree that this is a big extravagant but it's also very well done, and truthfully, if I had the skill to do it I would. Who cares how often you use it.

Here are the build steps. The guy put a ton of work into this!
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 8 of 32
I like how the height of the monitors, and somewhat slightly less how the desk can be adjusted, but totally not keen on the whole PC inside the desk though.
To: Matt 9 of 32
I think if he would have filtered the fans or water cooled it it would have been better. Like the others have said, it's just going to get filled with gunk. But I don't mind having the computer itself displayed in the desk, just that he should have thought that part out a little better.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 10 of 32
Here is my custom HTPC case. Not quite as well done as the one in that video but it works.

It has something I call CACK, Customised Air Cooled Kangaroo. Much better than ATX/BTX but a pain if things need to be changed in the case as the ports are all at the bottom. It also needs 8 screws removed to get access to the inside - which I had to do when I forgot to plug the fans in.

It's actually pretty noisy, low droney noise, considering there are only 2 low speed exhaust fans, so I might try some kind of noise dampening when I figure out how to do it.

Hmm, I would attach the pictures if I could work out how.
To: ALL11 of 32

EDITED: 31 Dec 2012 17:09 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 12 of 32
Whatever works man!  I once hung a computer on the wall.

Here is mine.  I've since replaced the motherboard/cpu/ram/psu.  Pretty much just kept the case and drive caddy because I love the form factor.  I'm thinking of using it as a desktop machine, but the thoughts of trying to move 6tb of data is making me lazy about it.

It's also running the blog and my beehive install. As well as a couple other VM's that I'm messing with.
EDITED: 31 Dec 2012 17:14 by SHIELDSIT
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 13 of 32
On a wall? I like that idea, as mad as it sounds.

I built this thinking it would be quiet but the large area in the box makes a bit of an echo chamber and it's bad :( I have wondered about (not for the HTPC) putting a fan outside the case, maybe in the attic, a big tube down to the PC and sucking loads of air out of it so it doesn't need fans onside.

6TB is a lot of stuff to want to move around. I get lazy at the thought of gigabytes of stuff.
EDITED: 31 Dec 2012 17:31 by CHRISSS
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 14 of 32
That looks like a natural amp box to me, I think that's why it might be noisy. Not sure on the best route to stop that as most noise reduction solutions are going to affect heat also.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 15 of 32
Yeah, most of it are movies, which I've lost a couple of times before.  Not a big deal to redownload them, but if I don't have to I'd rather not.  Last time I did it I had 20 hard drives (small ones) full and all my cloud storage full just to pull it off.  I now have an Azure storage area with 300GB that would help with it, but it still takes a long time to upload all that stuff!

Maybe you could put some kind of dampening material in there to keep the noise down?
To: arq (ARQUETURUS) 16 of 32
Indeed, it amplifies the noise of the fans/air rumbling something silly.

The plan was to have good airflow around the parts so everything stays cool, which I think it does well as the CPU has no fan and underclocked  bit it stays at 50C. I wonder how much heat is being transmitted through the chipboard.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 17 of 32
Haha, 20 HDDs to backup stuff! That must have been a pain. You have too much stuff, as Xen would say :)

Egg trays/foam pyramids like they use in those crazy looking anti echo chambers?
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 18 of 32
Yeah, that's the stuff I was thinking about, or maybe some of the Styrofoam stuff from a cooler and wrap it on the outside?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 19 of 32
Could try something on the outside, not sure how much of the noise is coming from the fan holes. I did just think about a double skinned case with a vacuum between to deaden thenoise but not sure how easy that would be to achieve.
To: ALL20 of 32
found a PC style I want someone to build for me ! ~

Steam Punk PC