PS3 hacked (again)

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)25 Oct 2012 07:42
To: ALL1 of 16

This time it's the encryption keys, which is nice. Although I can't pretend that I understand much of it. It's probably not all that it's cracked up to be. Geddit?!

Anyhow, this was interesting:

quote: BBC (at that link above)

In better news for Sony, a US judge has thrown out a mass lawsuit brought by users of the PlayStation Network, following a huge security breach in May 2011 which saw the user information of 69 million customers exposed.

The suit accused Sony of failing to adequately protect information and exposing users to identity theft.

Judge Battaglia from the US District Court of Southern California pointed to a clause in the user agreement which noted that "there was no such thing as perfect security" and said that the disclaimers meant there were no grounds for the lawsuits.

The plaintiffs have until 9 November to appeal against the decision.

We all know that there's no such thing as perfect security. I guess the question that plaintiffs may raise is whether Sony did enough or were negligent in storing passwords in the way that they did.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)25 Oct 2012 07:44
To: Matt 2 of 16

A problem with quotes. With TinyMCE you entered a quote with URL and quotee. This thing doesn't allow that. Or have I missed something?

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 of 16
Time to recycle this one then..
Q: What's big and black and steals your credit cards?
A: PS3
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 4 of 16
From what I read its only of use to anyone who hasn't updated their firmware for over 18 months.

And I thought the same about negligence/cock handedness.
EDITED: 25 Oct 2012 08:31 by KOSWIX
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 of 16
Wasn't TinyMCE, just the quote tag in the old non-wysiwyg editor wasn't it?

Only way to do that would to male the quote functionality a dialog that you enter the relevant bits into I guess.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)25 Oct 2012 09:23
To: koswix 6 of 16
From what I read its only of use to anyone who hasn't updated their firmware for over 18 months.

Hmm, the quote from Eurogamer suggested otherwise:

quote:
 "Options Sony has in battling this leak are limited - every PS3 out there needs to be able to decrypt any firmware download package in order for the console to be updated.

"The reveal of the LV0 key basically means that any system update released by Sony going forward can be decrypted with little or no effort whatsoever."

But, like I said, I understand not.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)25 Oct 2012 09:26
To: Matt 7 of 16

I can't honestly say that I recognised a delineation between TinyMCE and the rest of the editor. I thought it was all the same thing.

But it is a bit odd, if you look at my reply to Mr Wix of this parish, there where I've quoted his post the link and ascription are given, but where I've quoted dear ol' auntie Beeb they're missing.

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 8 of 16
They use LV0.2 or something now, since the key was stolen [which was some time ago].
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 9 of 16
Presumably, the difference with the Kos quote is that one was done by clicking the Quote link in Beehive? When you do this, it knows which post you're quoting and can add the link for you.

When you copy and paste text and turn it into a quote, it doesn't know where it came from so can't add the link for you. You (by which I mean everyone) could type the source after "quote:" highlight it and add a link if you wanted to, but a dialog with source, link and text to quote might be nicer.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)25 Oct 2012 13:07
To: Matt 10 of 16
'Yes' and 'yes', in that order.
To: Matt 11 of 16

didn't the old way used to have a place there ready to just drop a C&P URL into?

á lá ~ quote src="" url=""

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)25 Oct 2012 15:41
To: JonCooper 12 of 16
In the HTML, yes.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 13 of 16

ohhhh, maybe it's all WYSIWYG now... uh, can't see a way to stop that...

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)25 Oct 2012 17:30
To: JonCooper 14 of 16
The underlying HTML ain't pretty :/
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 6 Nov 2012 09:45
To: Matt 15 of 16
Two other things about the quote function. One is just an observation, the other is a P-I-T-A.

Clicking the quote link gives you the quote with <p> tags, C/P text quote gives you line breaks. It's inconsistent, but hardly the end of the world.

But is it just me, but when I create a quote by clicking the link below a post the post is given in the reply textarea, with the cursor within the quote. And there's no space below the quote to click out of it.

That's a PITA, but at least I have HTMLskillz. Pity the poor schmuck who just 'wants it to work'.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 16 of 16
I think that's because we've switched from <p> to <br /> recently, so quoting old posts will have <p> in them and newer ones won't.

I will have a look at the quote link thing at the weekend.