Teh Podcast - Hosting ?

To: ALL1 of 21
This may be one for Matt.

How are we fixed with hosting space and download limits?
Looking at setting up something to upload Teh Podcast to.

I appreciate it is rough around the edges but I think as we
continue with it it will really improve.

We have a unique feature in the diversity of regular hosts we
can bring on for each cast and i think once we get the format sorted it
could be something that other non forumites might get into.

If this were the case then it would be useful to have space to upload and
start and RSS feed to.

I was going to register tehpodcast.co.uk/com and start a small site similar to the one I have created for my brothers podcast www.dundeenfl.com keeping the layout and colours as a match for Teh Forum.

If we have the space and bandwidth to do this here and just add it as an extra link next to the Chat menu option so much the better.

Cheers
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 2 of 21
quote:
I was going to register tehpodcast.co.uk/com

Don't waste the money. :S

Even if there's not the space/transfer on this server, it takes a few seconds to point podcast.tehforum.co.uk at any server/site you want...
EDITED: 16 Jul 2012 19:25 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 21

www.podcast.tehforum.co.uk ?

that would be the link?

To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 4 of 21
What Pete said.

Bandwidth wouldn't be an issue, we're barely tickling our allowance, but is it wise to start hosting large files (publicly) on Teh and for us to have to suddenly start paying fees if we going over?

Could maybe set up a private torrent tracker on here or some other decentralised distribution platform that we can use. Might even be able to tie it into the Beehive user authentication.
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 5 of 21
podcast.tehforum.co.uk would be it - no need for extra letters.

Using www is a convention - it has never been required to be at the start of a URL.
EDITED: 16 Jul 2012 19:44 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 6 of 21
quote:
Using www is a convention - it has never been required to be at the start of a URL.

Bullshit!!!!

Seriously!?

(goes off to try..)

I really did not know that.
Firefox still adds it in, is it browser dependent? Would older browser not work without www?
To: Matt 7 of 21
Files size are currently about 70 - 100 mb per 1hr - 1.20min episodes
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 8 of 21
It has nothing to do with the browser* - it is up to the server to handle.

Some servers, if you type domain.com will redirect you to www.domain.com (e.g. http://google.com adds the www )
Others, if you type www.domain.com will redirect you to domain.com (e.g. http://www.stackoverflow.com removes the www )

You may sometimes come across badly configured servers which do fail if they receive the non-www version, but I can't recall any examples of that (it did happen once to me recently, on some site that should have known better, but I forget the specifics.)

*Of course, because it is a convention, some browsers may well sometimes do stuff that involves adding www, but almost certainly what you're referring to is not browser-driven, but the server sending the redirect request. (You can use Firebug's Net panel to see this occur.)
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 9 of 21
It's server dependent.

Teh redirects you to www because it can, but it doesn't have to.
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 10 of 21
100mb downloaded 100 times is ~10GB of data transfer, which is 5% of our monthly allowance for one episode.

I don't know how likely getting 1k+ subscribers is, but having some distributed system (like torrents) to spread that load and make sure it's not an issue is probably a good idea.
To: ALL11 of 21
Didn't know that, cheers
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 12 of 21
would that still be linkable to itunes etc? I never done torrent setups etc
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 13 of 21
I've never done torrent setups or iTunes, so haven't got a clue. :P

I might have enough space/transfer on my server - not sure, and have to go now - if a fixed host is needed I'll check the numbers later.
EDITED: 16 Jul 2012 20:21 by BOUGHTONP
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 14 of 21

I've got some reseller hosting your welcome to use while you gauge things. I can limit the bandwidth to prevent it running away - I have 500GB a month to play with and barely tickle it really.

Don't know how feasible it is in the long term, but as I say, totally happy to help if I can.

I wonder if, between that, Teh and anyone else we could fix up a simple CDN. What do you think Matt, could just do it round robin style, or even just random.

Edit: I personally dislike the idea of using torrents for this, primarily because I don't have a torrenting program installed and it's a bit iffy running it when I'm on-site or at work.

EDITED: 16 Jul 2012 20:31 by HERMAND
To: ALL15 of 21
Dropbox.
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 21
how would that work if we wanted to get onto iTunes eventually?
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 17 of 21
No idea.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 18 of 21
Agreed. I have gobs of bandwidth that I'm not using as well as storage space.
To: ALL19 of 21

All cool cheers guys.

Think iTunes uses a single RSS feed for podcast. I have only created these using a single folder holding all episodes.

Sure we can work it out as required though :)

cheers

To: Dan (HERMAND) 20 of 21
My bandwidth limit is bigger than your bandwidth limit. :>

Can also do monitoring/limiting/etc, so yeah, we could do a CDN/mirror thing and definitely not have anything to worry about.

quote:
primarily because I don't have a torrenting program installed

http://www.transmissionbt.com/
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

quote:
it's a bit iffy running it when I'm on-site or at work.

It's no less iffy than running an FTP program when you're on-site or at work.

Torrenting is a perfectly valid tech for distributing load and downloading files whilst responding to changes in network speed.

Anyway, no reason why we can't have both traditional mirrors, as well as [at least one] permanent torrent seed, and let people use whichever method they prefer. Options good. :)