Making Teh Podcast Better

To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 8 of 53
Jingles are arguably necessary on radio since you'll be listening to one programme after another. It's appropriate, then, to provide a little audio cue, a subtle one, just enough to break through any distraction and let you know your favourite programme has started.

If I put a podcast on I know it's on because I put it on. Any jingle is, at very fucking best superfluous. And more likely annoying, grating, amateurish and embarrassing. Not just its form but the mere fact of its existence.

Overproducing this, aping the forms of professional media with neither the context necessary to give that meaning nor the skill to pull it off will result in an embarrassing mess.

I'm not sure the podcast needs heavily delineated sections, let alone more fucking jingles demarcating them. "Right then, let's talk about films" is more than adequate and will sound roughly infinity times less shit.

If you want this to be entertaining in the way that watching people who can't sing but think they can sing audition on x-factor is entertaining then go for it.

If you want it to actually be any good then worry about content. Try actually having a discussion rather than just listing shit. You can worry about production when you have something to produce.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 9 of 53
Not had much sleep?
To: ANT_THOMAS 10 of 53
Ha. Not had enough tea.
To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 11 of 53

How about just fading the track out as you get off topic, then fading back in once you're all onto the next one?

That way you cut out any unnecessary stuff and leaves a distinct audio cue for the next section.

Plus Xen'll be happy.

EDITED: 10 Jul 2012 15:06 by GRAPHITONE
To: graphitone 12 of 53
That would be far more appropriate, yeah.
To: graphitone 13 of 53
What would be really good would be for Xen to record a commentary track discussing what's just been discussed, with himself, and layer it over the boring bits and jingles.
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 14 of 53
(this is mainly in response to your proposed schedule in the other thread, but it's more relevant here)

As I said elsewhere, you make a good host. You're affable and articulate and able to keep shit moving.

You need to ask better questions though. Asking people what they've watched/played/whatever is unlikely to result in interesting answers.

Listening to people list and describe the media they've been consuming is not remotely interesting. If it were of interest to me there are a million sources where I could've found that information framed more competently.

This is going to be a million times worse if you specify particular media objects to talk about. Unless I happen to be the world's most rabid fan of one of those games/whatever then it's quite clearly going to be of very little interest.

If you want to talk about games and films and stuff then fine, but talk about them. Don't just list and describe. What's the best experience you've ever had in a game? What should games do? Should games tell us stories or should they provide us with the tools to tell stories ourselves? Are games culturally important? Why are adolescent power fantasies even more prevalent in games than in films? Do games need to grow the fuck up? How are games and films different? How does having agency in games differentiate them from film? What does this mean for narrative? etc. etc. Those are just off the top of my head, obviously, but you get the idea.

Discussions and stories and debate and things which are obviously inherently interesting, will be interesting.

I mean ideally you'd forget this 'games/films/gadgets' thing altogether and just talk about stuff. I mean, for example, say everyone who joins the podcast comes with 3 questions to ask. Not questions necessarily, but things that can actually be discussed and explored - an interesting/funny but of news or something that happened to them in tescos or... whatever. Just something a bit more dynamic and interesting than "I watched spiderman. It is a about a man who can climb on walls. He wore a red suit. It was not very good because the story was not very good and the acting was not very good. You?".

(also, and this is more subjective, I think you should drop talking about music. It's a hard topic to discuss in a non-boring "I have listened to x, they are a bit like y but with more guitars" way)
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 15 of 53

I see your point, and I do think that even well-composed "jingles" would feel pretty out of place. I was thinking more of 15-30 seconds of intro/outro music, with snippets of it played between segments. I don't know if you'd count that as a jingle or not.

Unless you dispense with structure and just let it be a rambly conversation (which might be fine, that's what makes a great Teh thread after all), then you'd need to either find an organic way to segue from one topic to another or use the jarring "okay enough about games, lets talk about music" kind of line. The fade-out thing might work but it could be a bit strange, especially if you're trying to hear what's being said as it fades.

To: Kenny J (WINGNUTKJ) 16 of 53

:D

Nice idea. So, it should a podcast and Xen's critque of the podcast subtly overlaid over the top - that could be enhanced by having him voice opinions etc. live while teh podcast is being recorded. He'd be present but very quietly talking in the background offering words of wisdom on what's just been said.

It'd be like being haunted by a verbose poltergeist. Every so often the participants could try to exorcise him. :-|

To: Oscarvarium (OZGUR) 17 of 53
Yeah I think a rambly conversation would be best. People asking questions, sparking discussion, saying things, arguing. Naturally moving from one topic to the next would be the ideal, with minimal editing needed, like.

But obviously it's not always going to work like that. But when the conversation halts I just think it's up to Fozza to pose a next question/thing or ask someone else to do so or whatever. I don't think that needs to be nor benefits from being explicitly divided up into sections.

I think the first order of business should just be to get proper, dynamic conversation flowing. Later on it might well make sense to cut that up into types of discussion or whatever, that's fine (and that's when it might be worth coming up with some music which genuinely characterises that rather than sticking some in just for the sake of it). But I think imposing such a rigid and restrictive structure this early hampers rather than helps anyone say anything interesting. Kinda stifles the whole thing.
To: graphitone 18 of 53
And ken should provide gunshot noises.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 19 of 53

That's reminded me of a rumour that certain recordings of Gorecki's Third Symphony have gun shots in the background. I'll have to dig out the CD and see if it's the one I've got.

That'll've been Ken again no doubt, messing around. The little gun-toting scamp.

To: graphitone 20 of 53
If he doesn't adopt 'gun-toting scamp' as his forum nickname I'll be sorely (yj) disappointed.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 21 of 53

I'm not sure if scamp translates into 'mercan all that well, you may as well ask him to eat a biscuit in a snikit, and you'll be staring at the same blank expression. :C

Ken - get the name change sorted.

To: graphitone 22 of 53
snikit? :$
To: ALL23 of 53

Just looking at these post on a mobile so will come back after I have had a chance to look at the feedback in a bit more depth.

I love the idea of having a free flowing discussion, but at the moment I think people are a bit nervous being recorded etc and think it would possibly be a bit more meandering and jarring than the last one.

I think have a few topics ready and some prepared thoughts so you are not reliant totally on thinking on your feet as we were in the first episode will help to keep things flowing better and us on track.

The jingle music was awful agreed but it was nice whilst recording to stop and take a break. Maybe as we get more slick it wont take us a bladder busting 3 hours to record :)

Will respond to the rest later, Xen if you want to help mold this you are more than welcome to join us on the recording :)

To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 24 of 53
Oh right - I /knew/ that'd come up. :-{)

You need this:

If we can't even agree on how to describe things in our own country, there's no way foreigners are going to get a handle on the language.

It's only regional variations and I'm sure it happens everywhere, but (undoubtedly because we live here) it seems all the more prevalent - those variations are almost an entirely different language in some places with only a relatively small distance between - compare the yokel Yorkshire farmer folk and their dialect with that of a Liverpudlian, and there's, what, a hundred miles between the two? Anyone here travelled enough to see the same sort of thing in other countries?
To: Dr Nick (FOZZA) 25 of 53
Pre-prepared questions/topics is fine. Just make them good ones :Y
To: ALL26 of 53
I just wrote a big long message then lost it because Android is shit.

Short pissed off summary: Why the fuck is Xen having to put so much effort into explaining/convincing Teh how to be Teh?

The podcast is essentially a virtual mini-meat. None of the meats I've attended have been focused on games/films/music, so why the fuck should the podcast?

Talk about what comes natural, with backup topics if everyone becomes mute. If you start getting too long for one episode (but don't want to stop) then just say "continued next episode", then continue straight on, and split it afterward. No further editing required.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 27 of 53
Why don't I just shoot guns live on the podcast?