Timelapse-me-do

To: ALL1 of 81
Anyone ever done Timelapse stuff? I've been using MakeAVI to stitch my shots together, and although it works it's very basic and lacks any fine control or extras like photo processing etc.

Anyone got any recommendations? Or what about proper video editing apps, would they handle the stitching betterer?
To: koswix 2 of 81

I've done mine via FFMPEG and the command line. Because I'm hardcore like that. And obviously no processing that way. It outputs a nice H264 encoded video though. But not necessarily great if you want to edit after due to it already being compressed.

What sort of processing would you like? You could make the timelapse then edit the outputted video in whatever you like for videos. I've found proper editors and whatever the Adobe editor is to be quite complex. Is it encore or premiere? Or both. Not initially easy to do simple editing. Certainly is after you've read around, but then it's forgotten easily when you come to play again a few months down the line.

Keep meaning to do some more timelapse videos. Need to get off my arse and actually do them. It's not like they're difficult. Set camera up, wait for x minutes, move on.

To: ANT_THOMAS 3 of 81

Was thinking of balancing the lighting/making it a smoother change/morphing or whatever.

Also want to do something to bring the clouds out all funny, solarise maybe. Could batch process that in irfanview I guess before building.

I've done a few over the last week or so, and today I drove back from Whitby with the camera on the dashboard. I've just run it into a video and I appear to have a rather lovely view of the windscreen wiper :'(

To: koswix 4 of 81
(also I've been doing the interval timer with the custom firmware available for the Canon series. I never thought I'd be running a CF on my camera (fail) )
To: koswix 5 of 81
Haha I've actually been tempted to get a second hand canon point and shoot to do exactly that. I've made a rotating tripod mount but it won't support a DSLR.
To: koswix 6 of 81
Haha I've actually been tempted to get a second hand canon point and shoot to do exactly that. I've made a rotating tripod mount but it won't support a DSLR.
To: Matt 7 of 81
That was me and my phones fault. Not Beehive.
To: ANT_THOMAS 8 of 81
We were talking about a rotating mount with a stepper motor, and put it on the roof timed to follow the sun so that it's always in the same place in the frame.
To: ALL9 of 81

I have done these 2.

http://youtu.be/Mlc1sTvKKEU

http://youtu.be/Ikqindz1qIY

But they are a bit of a con. I just upped the frame rate of the video taken. The first one was in HD. I then rendered in SD with a pan/zoom added.

To: Killamarshian (HAL9001) 10 of 81

That's cool.

this is the best one I've managed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSUsN6tvMMA

I think the direction the clouds are moving is really important, side to side doesn't look so impressive as towards/away from the camera.

To: koswix 11 of 81
Excellent, looks like you picked a good day for it. Love the bubbling clouds
To: koswix 12 of 81

This one being automated by my phone....

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 May 2012 07:56
To: ANT_THOMAS 13 of 81

Premiere = video
Encore = audio

To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 14 of 81
There's another video one then. More for authoring?
To: ANT_THOMAS 15 of 81
After Effects is what I was thinking of. Not exactly authoring.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 May 2012 10:00
To: ANT_THOMAS 16 of 81
Yeah, AE is more for compositing. You could do time-lapse in it, I guess, but it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. And a pretty awkward sledgehammer at that.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 17 of 81

Yeah, definitely not the right tool.

I'd like to learn to use it a bit to even just add simple text overlays to things.

To: ANT_THOMAS 18 of 81
it's very easy to use to do that, although you'd be barely scraping the feature set - most video editors let you do that already built in.
To: milko 19 of 81
Yeah, definitely very basic. With a few swooshy in out things of text. Nothing fancy.
EDITED: 2 May 2012 10:32 by ANT_THOMAS
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 2 May 2012 10:31
To: ANT_THOMAS 20 of 81
Like Milko says, most video editors can do that with far less pain.