Webby site probbys

To: ALL1 of 14

I have been asked at work to create a small "dashboard" web-site for a job we are doing.

I am hosting this dashboard on my own web host. We have a domain name that points to the sub-domain where I have hosted the web site. I am using asp.net 3.5 with a sql server 2008 backend Db. Don't know if it's relevant but I am using IE8.

On my website I have used the asp.net login control to provide login facilities.

Now when I access the website using my own sub-domain name, let's say xxx.yyy.net it all works dandy. The login control behaves the way it should, you can refresh the page without being logged out and having to log back in, and so on.

However, if I access the web-site from the company domain name, let's call it www.abcde.co.uk, you can log in, but nothing else about the login control works. If you refresh, you have to log in again, the login view (which displays log in status) just says "log in" so you can log in again, instead of saying "You are logged in - log out" or whatever.

Being an utter amateur at this stuff, I am now lost as to what to do.

I suspect there's a cookie issue, but don't know how to sort it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers peeps.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)18 Mar 2011 17:19
To: Bryan (TWISTER) 2 of 14
I suspect there's a cookie issue,

I suspect you're right...any decent security will block cross-domain cookies.
but don't know how to sort it.

Host the login on the same server as the site.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 3 of 14

I suspect you are correct.

Another domain name here I come.

To: Bryan (TWISTER) 4 of 14
Huh, why are you after another domain name?

What Truffy means is make sure you stay on abcde.co.uk during and after login.

If you've got an existing website at www.abcde.co.uk that's not a problem - once cookies are setup correctly, you can have bert.abcde.co.uk or any other sub-domain and it'll work fine.

Unless I'm missing something here? :S
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 14
quote:
Huh, why are you after another domain name?

Because I don't fully understand the issue or how to resolve it. Buying another domain name from my host will (will not?) solve my problem easily.

quote:
What Truffy means is make sure you stay on abcde.co.uk during and after login.

How do I achieve this using asp.net 3.5 and the login control?

quote:
If you've got an existing website at www.abcde.co.uk that's not a problem - once cookies are setup correctly, you can have bert.abcde.co.uk or any other sub-domain and it'll work fine.

I have my website setup at www.abcde.co.uk. The domain name we want to use was purchased from some other company ages ago by the company I work for (don't know who). Setting up the cookie is my problem and I don't know how to solve it.

Yours, or anybody elses help, would be greatly appreciated, in virtual beer tokens!
To: Bryan (TWISTER) 6 of 14
quote:
How do I achieve this using asp.net 3.5 and the login control?

Haven't got a clue, because:
1) I don't use any .NET
1) In the technology I do use, most people stay away from the equivalent built-in stuff because it's not flexible enough.

quote:
I have my website setup at www.abcde.co.uk. The domain name we want to use was purchased from some other company ages ago by the company I work for (don't know who).

I'm still a little unclear, so to try and clarify/confirm:
www.abcde.co.uk = main website
xxx.yyy.net = small dashboard website

And that's the domains you want to use for this - using xy.abcde.co.uk intead of xxx.yyy.net isn't desired? Or you don't have DNS control of abcde.co.uk to set it up?

You want, somewhere on www.abcde.co.uk, to be able to have a login form which, when submitted, sends the user and whole page to xxx.yyy.net ?

Prior to this, do you have any login stuff already on abcde.co.uk?
If so, are you trying to re-use the same stuff, or to put something independent?

If you can answer those I might be able to point you in vaguely the right direction, though I'm also hoping one of the people here that actually does .NET might pop up and be able to instantly answer instead. :P
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 7 of 14

OK - I'm getting more and more confused (explanation in a bit)!!

Overview: I have asp.net hosting. I have created a sub-domain within this for the work thing.

So my hosting is: www.abcdef.co.uk
sub-domain is: subdomain.abcdef.co.uk

My work has a domain name (let's say: www.xyz.co.uk) which we use for, well whatever really! At the moment we want it to point to my sub-domain.

On the web-app I am attempting to create I have an asp.net login control. This works as expected when you access the sub-domain through subdomain.abcdef.co.uk

When you access the sub-domain through www.xyz.co.uk the login control fails to perform as expected.

OK now for my confusion. If you access my sub-domain through www.xyz.co.uk on my machine it doesn't work. Access it from my bosses machine it works! Both using IE8.

If I access www.xyz.co.uk from my machine using FireFox it works as expected.

The only caveat to the working through www.xyz.co.uk is when you refresh the page it retreats back to the login page instead of refreshing the page you are on.

I don't think I have DNS control of my sub-domain, but I will check. I do have access to DNS control of our works domain name though.

Cheers I hope this is helpful.

edit: I do have access to DNS stuff. But I don't know anything about it so not sure what to do.

EDITED: 21 Mar 2011 17:15 by TWISTER
To: Bryan (TWISTER) 8 of 14
Why do you need to even use www.abcdef.co.uk? Can everything not just be hosted at www.xyz.co.uk?
To: ANT_THOMAS 9 of 14
quote:
Why do you need to even use www.abcdef.co.uk? Can everything not just be hosted at www.xyz.co.uk?

It just that I have hosting space for Asp.net stuff. The company already owns this domain name and wants to point it at my (sub-)domain. Like an idiot I said they could use my space for this little project. The 1 and 1 hosting is PHP.

The companies domain name is with 1 and 1, my hosting is with Aspnethosting.

If that makes sense. :-$
To: Bryan (TWISTER) 10 of 14

Basically you were stupid to let them use your personal space.

Tell them to get their hand in their pocket and get some asp.net hosting for themselves.

To: ANT_THOMAS 11 of 14
quote:
Basically you were stupid to let them use your personal space.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
To: Bryan (TWISTER) 12 of 14

From what people have said it might be a cross-domain issue. Tell them that, it won't work cross domains.

Maybe xyz.co.uk on php hosting and sub.xyz.co.uk on asp.net hosting. Get the DNS sorted and maybe that's a better option.

To: Bryan (TWISTER) 13 of 14
What Ant said × 3.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 14 of 14

OK. Cheers everyone.

I thought it would be a little easier than this!

I think I will go with the company putting their hands in their pockets.