uuuurrrgggh

To: JonCooper 6 of 11
It's Teh Mind trying to tell us a Podcast needs doing.
To: Mouse 7 of 11
Why is it pretty good?

The Pomodoro Technique requires that tasks fit into neat 25 minute slots, which of course they don't.

It doesn't have an answer for if something would take 27 minutes (vs something that might take 35, and is ok to interrupt).

It requires 5 minute breaks which are a perfect opportunity to get distracted on a PC, and just dithering about otherwise.

and so on - does the app help with that?
(and don't tell me the timer is configurable, because it still needs to be preconfigured)

When I'm awake, I can progress ok with a "work until I need a wee" technique, which simply involves drinking every so often, until I need a wee, then finishing off what I'm doing, and cramming in a few other tasks, before it's too much effort not to wet myself, so I go to bathroom.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 11
I can't move it either. Odd.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 9 of 11
Thinking about it, maybe it's not for you...
EDITED: 15 Jan 2011 16:19 by MOUSE
To: Mouse 10 of 11
:(

I would like it to be - when I first heard it described (by a very productive developer) it sounded great - having a clear plan of what needs doing, having regular short breaks interspersed with longer ones, working solid without any distractions, and so on.

But what I think I need is something more targetted/integrated at how I work - something connected to the IDE that waits for you to finish typing and/or save a file before deciding if to interrupt, where I can commit a change, mark a task as completed, and it then says "after you've tested that, your next task is..." or "time for a break; here's a five minute article to read" or "go have a walk" or whatever.

Of course, odds are nobody has created anything like that yet, so at some point I'll have to have a go myself, but I've got too much other stuff that must come first.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 11 of 11

I don't tend to stop immediately after a podomoro finishes if I'm on with a task. Rather I find for me it carves up time into chunks that I'm motivated to fill.

Not really read much around it but I've found it very useful.