many many hard drives

To: ALL1 of 14

"5 hard drives"

Ok. Lol....................... Elaborate Dave!!!.

To: Username 2 of 14

He's a computer geek, it's the sort of thing they do.

Might as well wonder why you chose all the components in your upgrade instead of just buying whatever Medion one is in Woolworths at the moment.

To: Username 3 of 14

Well, 6 actually if you include my external drive.

I have 4 200GB drives in 2 mirrored RAIDs (400GB total), an old 80GB IDE drive for scratch files whilst video editing and an external 750GB drive for backups and large video files. I'm also completely out of space on my 2 RAIDs :-(

To: Dave!! 4 of 14
Your backup drive is 10x larger than my main (and only) drive.

What the fuck do you have on there?

Why do people insist on needlessly archiving stuff :((

We'll get to the point where everyone in the world has a copy of everything ever made. Goddamn, goddamn.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 5 of 14

This guys a muppet.
He's got effectivly 200G.
The world will own the whole world one day.

By 2050 1000TB HDs for as little as £200.
Whens the bubble gonna burst for heavens?

To: Username 6 of 14
quote:
He's got effectivly 200G.

No, he's got 1630GB but he uses it as 1230GB. For increased speed. How did you come up with 200?

quote:
The world will own the whole world one day.

No, the whole world will have a copy of every bit of intellectual property but will not own it. I don't know what the results of that are but it is a sad state of affairs. You put this creative power in peoples' hands and what do they do with it- collect the same old tired cultural output they were watching before. Instead of making their own shit, they consume more of the old shit. The view from my tall horse saddens me.

quote:
By 2050 1000TB HDs for as little as £200.

You often make these strange predictions and I for one enjoy them a great deal, keep up the excellent work.

quote:
Whens the bubble gonna burst for heavens?

I don't know if it will, I'm becoming increasingly convinced it won't. But I do think our current culture is becoming unsustainable in many ways.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 7 of 14

My first 200GB RAID (which is mirrored for data security, not speed) has 2 operating systems on it along with various games, programs, photographs, work etc. There's about 20GB free over the 2 partitions which are on the drive.

My second 200GB RAID is used for disk images (which are slowly being plonked onto DVD - currently about 60GB worth), MP3s (just under 30GB worth), 15GB or so of various other downloaded bits and bobs (used to be more until I had a clear out) and about 60GB or so of videos (various series of stuff).

My external drive has backups of most of that stuff (not games and OS stuff though) on it along with about another 100GB of videos (these are also backed up on DVD seeing as they're only stored otherwise on a single HD). There's over 350GB free on the external drive as it was bought to last for a good while longer before I filled it.

You see, for me hard drives aren't expensive and they're a damn sight less hassle than having everything sitting around on CDs and DVDs, or having to regularly delete stuff to free up space. I can easily play quite a few games, listen to all my music, watch a large choice of videos (although not films) all without having to muck about much or do loads of disk swapping. So there you go.

To: Dave!! 8 of 14
That was an amusingly long-winded explanation without explaining much!
To: Dave!! 9 of 14

There I do not go.

I wasn't arguing for sticking this stuff on DVDs/CDs versus hard drives, I was arguing against hoarding that much data in the first place.

I don't understand the purpose of <i>keeping</i> all this stuff. I understand the emotional need it fills - people (geeks in particular I think) like collecting things, but surely there's a limit beyond which it doesn't make sense.

How long would it take you to watch/use/play 1.3 <i>terabytes</i> of <i>stuff</i>?

And why all the backups? Is your data really <i>that</i> important on hat I assume is a home computer? I understand the point of backing up things whcih are unique (your work, for example) and things you deem important which would be difficult to replace (music). But games and films and TV series... why? I download plenty of all three, I watch/play them then I delete them. Why keep them? Sure, the odd few you might watch again, but they're so easy to get that if I want to watch them again I will get them again. I have maybe 3 or 4 big games installed at a time, I don't play more than that at once so why have more.

I don't mean to get at you in particular, it's your shit and money so it's up to you what you do with it. I just find it a bit absurd. My computer is used for both entertainment and work and I manage fine with a 70gb drive, I play plenty of games and watch plenty of films and never struggle for space as I don't feel the need to keep them afterwards.

What really bothers me is the ever increasing voracity with which people lap up commercial-media. Not only lap it up anymore, but cling on to it like it has some inherent value. Especially given the creative potential of the machines they're using to archive and view this shit (and when that creative potential is being used most of the time it's only to reproduce/reinforce those commercial creative forms anyway). I find that a bit scary.

To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 10 of 14
<i>fucking html</i>
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 11 of 14
Whereas I like coming back to things, re-watching series a bit later, re-playing games after a while to discover new bits, etc. Hence none of it is "archived" stuff really. That already belongs on DVD in an obscure box somewhere.
To: Dave!! 12 of 14

Take some photos.
I gotta see all of this small are, high storage PC.

To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 13 of 14

you make a lot of sense, and i envy your attitude.

I take that with some stuff, but I don't think i am as good at it as you are!

To: Ben (BENLUMLEY) 14 of 14

I do collect weird old DOS games :((

And I don't do much creative with my 'puter, outside of work (which doesn't count). I want to though.