SATA I and II

To: ALL1 of 4
Are SATA II HD's compatible with SATA I motherboards?
To: Username 2 of 4
In general, yes.

You'll want to check the specific drive/mobo combination though, as there may be some issues for SATA II drives in some older motherboards.
To: Username 3 of 4
Yes.

Most drives come with jumpers on them to switch between auto-negotiation and forced SATA150 (SATA I) mode.

How the jumper is set may depend on the drive manufacturer but all the drives I've seen recently (Seagate and Maxtor) come with SATA150 mode enabled by default so you can plug them straight in without the risk of any compatibility issues arising.

If you [later] want to change to SATA300 (SATA II) you have to remove / change the jumper pin.
EDITED: 21 Oct 2007 23:04 by MATT
To: Username 4 of 4
There isn't technically any such thing as SATA II. It was the name of the SATA International Organisation before they changed their name. One of the features that the SATA II organisation came up with was an increase in speed for SATA drives from 150MB/s (or 1.5Gb/s) to 300MB/s (just like with UDMA133 over UDMA100 with IDE drives for example).

End result, people see "3Gb/s" and "SATA II" and think "Oooh, new standard", despite the SATA II (now SATA IO) saying, "No, that's just our name".

End result. SATA is SATA. Newer drives support newer features such as the 3Gb/s transfer rate, but everything is pretty much backwards compatible because SATA II doesn't technically exist as a drive standard. Hence also why you'll struggle to find any drives listed as SATA II on sites such as Seagate's website or Western Digital's website.

The only occasional problems are a few earlier motherboards that don't support the "Auto speed negotiation" feature and hence can't tell the hard drive to run at 1.5Gb/s. On these such boards, you may need to jumper the drive to force it to run at the slower speed. On all other boards though, everything will work fine.