What's this?

To: ALL1 of 31
This blue square appears intermittently on my desktop, and at the moment it's persistent.

At first I associated it with Creative Mediaplayer junk, but it has persisted after that was removed.

It's probably about 8x8 pixels and appears in the centre of my left hand (primary) monitor. It's clickable, changing between the pale and bold blues of a window title bar bar in or out of focus.

Make it go away.
EDITED: 15 Jul 2006 09:22 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 2 of 31
Ooh! I've made a discovery. It's moveable, and when I moved it, it stretched into what is clearly a tiny little window. It still gets on my tits which is curious as it also currently residing on Venus's left breast.
EDITED: 5 Jan 2007 17:43 by MANTHORP
To: Manthorp 3 of 31
daft question; is it right-clickable - e.g. do you get a menu?
To: william (WILLIAMA) 4 of 31
Not a daft question at all but, unfortunately, no it doesn't.
To: Manthorp 5 of 31
Task Manager?
To: Manthorp 6 of 31
If you can get it to accept focus, does it respond to ALT,  SPACE,  S,  then cursor moves ( -> etc.) to change its size? 
To: william (WILLIAMA) 7 of 31
Update: I had several instances of Outlook going in Task Manager. I was turning them off one by one, and on the antepenultimate one, it disappeared. doesn't really explain wtf it is, but at least I now know how to get shot of it.
To: Manthorp 8 of 31
I'd recommend all your anti-badstuff software is up-to-date and do a full scan of each, just in case...
To: Manthorp 9 of 31
Botticelli! (cheer)
To: Manthorp 10 of 31

Chill dude.

Its MicroSofts Blue Screen Of Living. It will only fill the screen completely when there is somthing wrong.

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 11 of 31
Venus and Mars fits perfectly across two monitors.

A good few years ago I gave the "Arthur Kitching Memorial Lecture" on it, based on the unacknowledged fact that it is a cartoon in the twentieth century sense of the word. Historians have acknowledged the gag that Venus has shagged Mars into exhaustion (though none I've read have picked up that the disposition and position of his hand in his lap is suggestive of that too): but none have seen that it's a classic 'anticipation' joke. It's set in the moment before the faun blows the conch in Mars' ear, at which moment the post-coital calm will be shattered; Mars will be blasted awake to see the 'knight' advancing on him, lance in hand. All will become chaos and Mars will look like a right tit.

To: TEHTrigger (TRIGGERTEH) 12 of 31
It's good to know that they care.
To: Manthorp 13 of 31

I do love it. I've always liked Botticelli for no real discernable reason.

That one's in London somewhere innit? I'm sure I've seen it down there.

To: Manthorp 14 of 31
And yeah. I agree with what you said there. Good points, that.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 15 of 31
National Gallery, Sainsbury wing. I've always liked him too, despite the fact that his anatomy is shocking. If you stood Mars up straight, he'd be a freak. I think his appeal has to do with it being simultaneously human, carnal and with a subtle, encoded non-Christian symbolism. I like Crivelli too, for his humanity and style, even though he's regarded as one of the lesser painters.

I like St. Sebastian's slightly flirty look, particularly given that he's doing his human pincushion act. And the nun who has just crept out from under St. Francis' habit.
To: Manthorp 16 of 31
LLLLLLLLLLLLL

S'funny thaqt, I was trying to think of the saint who famously got arrowed to death cos there's a particular painting I liked of it/him. Been ongoing for about five years that. I can look it up now, thanks.

His expression looks slightly pissed off/threatening to me. Like 'you did not want to do that'.

The nun is fucking great though. Were nuns really that big in the olden days uncle Steve?
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 17 of 31
Only when dehydrated.

I have a feeling she was the commissioner of the painting or summat, and as a mere mortal she is depicted as Lilliputian.
To: Manthorp 18 of 31
I can't find the painting I liked. But this one sort of makes up for it:

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 19 of 31
There is also, of course, the desperately self-indulgent Jarman movie.
To: Manthorp 20 of 31
Oooh, forgot about that. I liked that, but I like Jarman generally. Despite of/because of his self-indulgence maybe. It's ok to be self-indulgent when you are quite interesting. Love his Wittgenstein film too, of course. Only saw that recently though.