Set theory question this time

To: ALL1 of 6
Back with more questions on confusing discrete maths stuff. Sets are much easier than the logic stuff though. And we've started predicate logic which is just brain melting :S

Anyway. If all these are true what can be said about A and B:
A union B = A
A intersect B = A
A\B = A
A\B = B\A

Given the last one I'm thinking A and B are both empty sets.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 2 of 6
There's probably a crap joke involving four Swedes there, but my brain is too akin to mushy peas at present to squeeze anything out.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 6
:D Took me too long to get that. This stuff turns my brain to mushy peas.
To: Chris (CHRISSS) 4 of 6
If you want mush, look at the code for any average software and somewhere you'll find nested inverted double negative conditional crap that'll tie you in knots requiring a miniature octopus to undo.

For A union B and A intersect B to be the same value, then every element in A must also be in B - i.e. A contains nothing that B doesn't contain, and B contains nothing that A doesn't contain.

I don't know what A\B is, but if it's symmetric difference then it appears to mean matching values in B are removed from A to get the result - so A\B=A means that no elements in B are in A, and since A doesn't contain anything B doesn't, then they are both empty.

The last one is saying A without B is the same as B without A - that means both sets contain the same elements (i.e. same as first two lines), but doesn't on it's own say that they are the empty set - the third line is needed to confirm that.

Probably.

EDITED: 23 Oct 2016 19:25 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 5 of 6
Yes that's all correct.

Although I did A union B means B is a subset or equal to A. Then A setminus/difference B must mean B is empty. Then A intersect B, or A intersect empty set means A is also empty set.

Not sure the last line is required.
To: ALL6 of 6
The answer to this one was:
a) B is a subset of A
b) A is a subset of B
c) A and B are disjoint sets
d) The two sets are identical

so I only got 1 out of 4 for that. Pff.