Dump Trump

To: koswix 171 of 207
There are lots. I actually have a problem with the statistics and sources though, because they are so many ways the data have been compiled it makes for quite a confusing read. I went through several sources to try to find good, raw data for ACA enrollment viability; the temptation for many is to write a search string such as, "obamacare sucks and here's why", but that is only confirmation bias. Finding a reliable source for information is tough, so I will leave it to you to find a source.

About the best I could find is this: Prior to obamacare, there were some 43 million (an argued number) uninsured, for a variety of reasons. After forcing people to buy insurance - and here is where it gets tough: somewhere between 9 million and 16 million people bought insurance. Or tried to. Or signed up. Or they signed up and paid for one month. Or they signed up and promised to pay and never did. Sigh.

Others, like me, had their policy canceled because it was ACA non-compliant. Some of those bought insurance for one month or longer, or took the penalty and didn't buy insurance. It is a difficult slog to figure out what the numbers are because there are so many variables. Incidentally, one of the reasons my policy was canceled (covering me and my son) was because it did not cover maternity care, for two males. The policy was 2.35 times more expensive than my previous policy, had a $12,000.00 deductible and less coverage.

Anyway, guessing at the end result is a challenge. It appears to me that of the 43 million uninsured ( a number given to help "sell" obamacare), perhaps 6% obtained and kept insurance - but even that is a disputed number.

All I can say is, according to people who have obamacare and use it, it is a mixed bag. Maybe half say it works, the other half say the coverage sucks. I do a lot of medical transport, so I hear a lot of comments. Most of my clients are on fixed or limited incomes. There are a number of insurance companies who have already canceled their coverage and no longer sell ACA insurance because it was not profitable for them. Next up: Insurance company bailout.
To: fixrman 172 of 207
Insurance and hmo lobbyists, corrupt congress and chump citizens what vote for 'em, and Republican obstructionists get to own this sorry mess.

Me, I'm on the Gold Standard, thanks for axing.

Good luck!
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 173 of 207
Quote: 
Insurance and hmo lobbyists, corrupt congress and chump citizens what vote for 'em, and Republican obstructionists get to own this sorry mess.

And everything is just peachy-keen in the Land of The Great White North. All Lovey-Dovey up there, what with your rising unemployment and immigration putting the squeeze on health and other services.

Ain't life grand when the gummint provides free shit (especially for immigrants)? But then, the Libs will have many more voters available to continue voting for free shit.  ;)

Was a time when immigrants came here, they worked hard, raised their families, started businesses... earned their way. Now they come over and hold their hands out to Democrats in exchange for votes.  (fail)

To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 174 of 207
Don't bother Smiffy, 'e's not werf it. Like arguing with a brick.  A bigoted brick.
To: Manthorp 176 of 207
Et tu, Brute?

This discourse serves to say that no matter what political system one lives under, one becomes inured to it. Those who are free cannot understand those who are repressed, those who have become accustomed to being taxed into oblivion cannot understand those who question taxation. Or giving up rights.

It is important to note that as far as bricks and bigots go, you two would do well to look in the mirror; that is, if you can get your asses and noses lowered.
EDITED: 4 May 2016 11:39 by FIXRMAN
To: fixrman 177 of 207
Medicare is under pressure here, as it is in most industrialized northern countries, not least because we did not have enough immigration.

I'll leave you work out the math on that.
EDITED: 4 May 2016 14:50 by DSMITHHFX
To: fixrman 178 of 207
Name one thing that Steve or Dan have said which is bigoted...
To: Dave!! fixrman 179 of 207
And name one time that Manthorp has had his ass in the air...

Oh.

Yep.

(manthorp)
To: Dave!! 180 of 207
They're bigoted against bigots?

:O)
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 181 of 207
Ahh, didn't think of that you intolerant tard  :-P
EDITED: 4 May 2016 19:45 by DAVE!!
To: Dave!! 182 of 207
Oh, sorry. Perhaps I should have said, Judgemental.

Name one thing I have said to be called a bigot.
To: fixrman 183 of 207
Nothing wrong with being judgemental so long as it's honest and self-aware.

>Name one thing I have said to be called a bigot.

You've espoused quite a few positions on things without backing them up. When challenged. you wave your hands and talk a lot without really clearing anything up.

In fact, when challenged to back something up regarding healthcare recently you said something like "I have a problem with the statistics" and then mumbled on with some anecdotal nonsense. Of course stats can be manipulated but when you're routinely disagreeing with generally accepted fact without providing a convincing rationale for that disagreement then you should probably at least consider a re-evaluation.

EDITED: 5 May 2016 04:37 by X3N0PH0N
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 184 of 207
Quote: 
You've espoused quite a few positions on things without backing them up.

Uhhh. that is not bigotry, mate. Just because I do not agree with opinions of others here, does not make me a bigot. Actually, that would make many members of Teh bigots; many of you have rejected out of hand any opinion different than your own, regarding your positions as being superior or correct. To whit:

Quote: 
[big-uh-tree]
noun, plural bigotries.
stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.
the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot.

If you are referring to a comment I made about immigration, I have no problem with people of any ethnicity coming here, as long as they can support themselves. The problem I have is with people who come here to freeload. They don't work and expect the rest of us to provide for them. That's not the way it should be.

If I don't qualify for GSM to emigrate to Australia, does that make Australia a country of bigots, or are they just protecting themselves from freeloaders? We have plenty of freeloaders here already, and I don't care what colour they are or belief set they have - if they refuse to work because they are lazy and want to suck the government teat - I have a problem with that.

As far as obamacare goes, one would have to be living in a vacuum to not know that it is not working. I said I would leave it for you to decipher the data, frankly because there are so many angles it boggles the mind. Also, if I had provided links and evidence, the attack would have been the source or the content's being wrong. That's what you lot often do. As a matter of fact, I provided links in a recent post that were ignored totally.

Quote: 
Nothing wrong with being judgemental so long as it's honest and self-aware.

I'd like to see your face on that one. Being judgemental is not a complimentary personality trait in most circles. But it is something widely accepted here at Teh, particularly if the poster happens to be American. Or, as you lot like to refer to us as, 'Merkins. Incidentally, I am generally thought to be honest. sometimes brutally so. I am also generally thought by my peers to be self-aware. Sorry I can't provide links to prove that, but I suspect that by your post you self-consider yourself to be self-aware.

Quote: 
When challenged. you wave your hands and talk a lot without really clearing anything up. Of course stats can be manipulated but when you're routinely disagreeing with generally accepted fact without providing a convincing rationale for that disagreement then you should probably at least consider a re-evaluation.

Hand waving? Right. Talking a lot a not clearing anything up means not changing my opinion and agreeing with you. So what is the "generally accepted "fact"? By the by, just because many people believe a thing does not make it true. Such as, the world being flat, or Teh Forum members always thinking that only they are right. That is my perception of how things are.

They name streets after people like that: One-way. Perhaps that is why your site isn't *"busy"? The Hive mentality can make it a challenge for folks to stick around when they don't assimilate.  ;) How is that for honesty?

* In all fairness to Teh, I am not aware of any Beehive site that is busy.

EDITED: 5 May 2016 11:46 by FIXRMAN
To: fixrman 185 of 207
Australia's pretty awful on the whole racist bigot thing actually. Not the best example! Their "processing centres" for refugees/illegal immigrants have been likened to concentration camps recently.
To: fixrman 186 of 207
You have this thing about "freeloaders". Call it an unhealthy obsession. Why the hate? What exactly have "freeloaders" done to you? Is your life that miserable? Are you a failure?
EDITED: 5 May 2016 15:41 by DSMITHHFX
To: fixrman 187 of 207
> The Hive mentality can make it a challenge for folks to stick around when they don't assimilate

You're still here. You must enjoy being mentally challenged.

:D

> Being judgemental is not a complimentary personality trait in most circles.

There's a difference between being discerning and being a snob.

Of course it's also possible to be both, and there is plenty of condescension towards the skin sacks that share your national vicinity from the fleshy farts that fill the landmass I reside within - and this forum isn't much different from offliners in that respect (except perhaps that there's a slightly higher concentration of good judgemental here), and ... well Americans probably do get it worst, particularly recently, but they also share the abuse with French and Germans and others. Still, as Swedish dairyman says, at least the bloody British are not as bad as the Kangaroo-fucking Kiwis.

To: fixrman 188 of 207
>stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

Yes. Exactly.

It's not that you have firmly held beliefs - we all, as you say, have those. It's that you refuse to reassess them in the face of overwhelming evidence. And even irrationally reject the evidence itself.

I can't be arsed reading the rest of your post as I'm sure it's the same old circular bullshit as always.

To: fixrman 189 of 207
Quote: 
The Hive mentality can make it a challenge for folks to stick around when they don't assimilate.

I'm not sure I've ever assimilated into the hive mind as you put it and I've been here about 7 years. I've never been to a meat, but feel I know most of the people here well enough to count them as friends people I frequently talk to on the internet.

I do live in Yorkshire though, so maybe I'm foreign enough to be excluded. :J

However, though I don't post a huge amount here, I do read the threads every day, so something keeps pulling me back, and it's not just PB's profile picture.

I think it's the honest, easy going nature of people here. Also, it's a great place to throw a question out and get an answer back without the barrage of trolling that happens elsewhere. Plus, people are helpful. Mostly. Well Milko once showed me a picture of his bike. I was disappointed it didn't have spokey dokes.

To: graphitone 190 of 207
Part of the problem in discussing politics is that we are in different situations. You lot live in yours, I live in mine - and we both think it works. What I don't understand is why folks there are so concerned with and criticise the U.S. so much; we don't do it here over the U.K. and her politics.

Quote: 
Also, it's a great place to throw a question out and get an answer back without the barrage of trolling that happens elsewhere.

I've found it a bit different in the political realm, but perhaps given the membership that is to be expected. We are coming at things from different mindsets.

Quote: 
Plus, people are helpful.

That is true enough. Technically, there are many here who are extremely well-versed with things electronica, etc.

Quote: 
Well Milko once showed me a picture of his bike.

His bike, eh? Is that what you're calling it? Lucky dog, then. ;-P