Hyper-V vs. VMWare

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 16 of 43

Yeah, that doesn't look too bad. No offence, but I was thinking consumer NAS rather than business.

Is it 10Gb?

EDITED: 23 Jul 2012 16:47 by HERMAND
To: Dan (HERMAND) 17 of 43
2Gb, tbh.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 18 of 43
There aren't any drives that come with it. I priced 10GB's for it.

But I have a question. Do you use anything like that for your VM's or a SAN? I can't spend a lot of money but I could build something like a NAS with a spare box and linux or something. What kind of interface does a SAN usually use? Should I keep the NAS on it's own vlan?

I do have another call set up with a service provider but I don't feel like being snowed by them because I don't know much about this kind of stuff.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 19 of 43

I meant 10Gb network connectivity. No, I've never personally seen a NAS being used - it's always SAN or local storage in my world. I know it's possible in theory, but I'm still not convinced by performance.

The SAN's I've been involved in normally use Fiber Channel or iSCSI - iSCSI is by far the most popular because it's quick enough for most things, but doesn't need any extra infrastructure. You'd definitely want iSCSI on its own VLAN, though.

It's definitely possible to roll your own, but I wouldn't know where to start. You'd almost certainly be needing to run Linux, I can't imagine a Windows based box having the performance even if it's possible.

If you've only got one ESXi server (And no vSphere), then I'm not sure that a small SAN or expensive NAS is going to give you a huge amount of benefit. If you have vSphere and a couple of servers then I'd say you definitely want it for the benefits of live migration and all that jazz.

To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 20 of 43

I'm about to get some brand new servers running Hyper-V on them, with a couple of Equallogic 10Gb SANs. Should be pretty nippy.

I'll let you know what it's like when it's all in. I have only mucked about with ESX3 briefly though, so I'm probably not much good at comparing Hyper-V to VMWare.

EDITED: 27 Jul 2012 18:25 by PNCOOL
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 21 of 43

You might want to have a look at XEN Server. They offer an absolutely free edition (based on agreements of their take-over of the open source software). The free edition does not provide enterprise features like dynamic memory allocation, but the licensed version does (add-on product).

I have tested several virtualization platforms, but my fav is XEN. It's performance is incredible. Give it a try!

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)30 Aug 2012 15:39
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 22 of 43
I think Xen is what Linode runs on, and Teh runs on Linode.
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 23 of 43
Whoa, it's inception for technology!
To: Maxemilian Hilbrand (MAXHILBRAND) 24 of 43
I'll give it a peek, thanks!
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 25 of 43

I have tried to install the open source XEN on a test machine, but I was not able to get all the drivers running. With the Citrix edition, everything comes highly maintained out of the box.

This was the solution which worked best for us, and we're operating three servers with up to 15 machines per server.

To: Maxemilian Hilbrand (MAXHILBRAND) 26 of 43

You know ESXi has a free edition, too, right?

And if you honestly think XenServer is an objectively better platform than VSphere then you're crazy! It's a pretty great product, but better? No chance!

To: Dan (HERMAND) 27 of 43
Hi Dan - not sure he claimed that.

It was more a case of Xen was his favourite, it works for them, and there's a free edition to get a taste.
To: Dan (HERMAND) 28 of 43
Can Xen server use the Citrix Receiver in the app store?
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 29 of 43

No, they're totally different products. Citrix Receiver is simply a client for connecting to XenApp / XenDesktop in an Remote Desktop esque way.

You have to use XenCenter to manage to your XenServer, in the same way as using the VSPhere Client to manage your VSphere ESXi servers.

As an aside, it's very important you refer to the Citrix product as XenServer, because Xen or Xen Server could easily be taken to mean 'pure' Xen, which it's based on. Although there are, of course, similarities, they're discrete products for nearly all intents and purposes.

To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 30 of 43
Does this conversation confuse you like it does me? I keep thinking they're talking about you.
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)31 Aug 2012 17:11
To: milko 31 of 43
Xen and the art of server virtualisation?
To: milko 32 of 43
Yes, I just pretend that they are talking about me and how great I am.
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 33 of 43
But we do need to use XenCentre to manage you...
To: Dave!! 34 of 43
Well I do need managing, I can be quite a handful (nj).
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 35 of 43
Only when you've been wined and dined Xen ;) (mj)