But but but...

To: ALL1 of 31
I realise this may be an old argument, but after flicking through some Far Side galleries last night I found this:

So how come Larson gets away with drawing Mohammed and when the Danes did it they get:

quote: Wikipedia
Critics of the cartoons described them as Islamophobic or racist,[5] and argued that they are blasphemous to people of the Muslim faith, are intended to humiliate a Danish minority, or are a manifestation of ignorance about the history of Western imperialism.

amongst a torrent of religious rage.

Or did Larson draw another Mohammed, and not the prophet? There's so many of them, it's bound to lead to confusion.
To: graphitone 2 of 31
Did I miss the bit where a bunch of people here converted and became Imams?

Or are you unable to figure out yourself why there's a huge difference between drawing a revered figure with a bomb for a turban and attempting to create a humorous scene based on a common saying, (which it seems has no actual links to Islam).

:/
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 3 of 31

Isn't the link to Islam the depiction of Mohammed?!

I agree it's less obvious and far more subtle than the other images, but given the voltatility of some religious zealots who seemed so incensed to go as far as BURNING THE DANISH FLAG, oh and death threats etc... the Larson comic seems to have got off lightly.

Probably because the Far Side's either less well read or less well known in it's cultural niche that those who would flick through the book would have a certain modicum of reasonableness and just found it amusing as you point out without resorting to rampage, protest and effigy making/burning.

From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Feb 2012 14:12
To: graphitone 4 of 31
And now you've brought Gary Larson to the attention of the flaming towelheads. I hope you'll be satisfied when he's burned in effigy, you callous bastard!
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 5 of 31

You ever done an image search for him?

There are scant few pictures around, and even less recent ones.

They won't be able to cobble together enough reference material to make a half decent effigy.

In hindsight of recent posts, we should flood the net with images of David Hassellhoff tagged as G. Larson.

To: graphitone 6 of 31
quote: wikipedia
According to John Woods, Islamic history professor at the University of Chicago, it was not simply the depiction of Muhammad that was offensive, but the implication that Muhammad was somehow a supporter of terrorism.
To: graphitone 7 of 31
I'm in this mood today where I'm very intolerant of stupidity. Please try not to be stupid. :|

The Farside comic is based on a 300+ year old quote, which "though widely attributed to Muhammed, the prophet of Islam who lived in Arabia in 6th century, there is no written or oral tradition that traces this phrase back to him."

The quote, being around for more than twice the lifespan of any currently living human is an example of being humble or compromising not being shameful, or whatever.

But it is not, according to the wikiquote page, something that Muslims consider to be part of their religion, and even if it were, it is not something to cause offensive.

Drawing a comic which does not mock/denigrate Muhammed nor Islam ain't going to cause them to get all angry.

Which bit of this is hard to understand?
EDITED: 23 Feb 2012 15:09 by BOUGHTONP
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 8 of 31
You're in a cheerful mood today Peter. What's brought this on?
To: af (CAER) 9 of 31
You.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 10 of 31
HTH.
To: af (CAER) 11 of 31
(and the rest of the entire world) :P
To: af (CAER) 12 of 31
He's giving up booze for Lent.
To: Lucy (X3N0PH0N) 13 of 31
Right you are.
To: af (CAER) 14 of 31
I don't understand that post.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 15 of 31
quote: slate.com
Not all Islamic traditions ban images of Mohammed, and some are pretty lax about pictures of lesser figures. For Muslims, the rule against depicting God and the prophets comes from the Hadith, a collection of sayings and actions attributed to Mohammed. (A few passages in the Quran have been taken to offer oblique support to this notion.) The doctrine has been interpreted in various ways over the centuries. Persian art of the 15th and 16th centuries shows the figure of Mohammed with his face, hands, and feet covered. Some earlier Persian works show full views.

Arab Muslims tend to be the strictest about religious imagery. Shiites are more flexible than Sunnis; for example, they display images of Husayn, * the grandson of Mohammed. Devotional portraits of leading teachers are generally OK, as long as they don't fall under the Hadith ban on depicting the major prophets. Pictures of people in religious scenes—like pilgrims on the Hajj—are also allowed. These are more likely to be displayed in the home than at a mosque, and some conservative Muslims will refuse to pray in their presence.

Muslims are more or less unanimous on the subject of Allah—he can't be drawn under any circumstances.

I guess it depends on which denomination you happen to be part of as to what you're going to accept when it comes to people drawing your deities.

I'm not saying I don't understand what you're going on about - I'm just choosing either play devil's advocate, or goad you. I've not decided which yet.
To: graphitone 16 of 31
He's not a fucking deity.

And yes, of course you are. (nod)
From: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD)23 Feb 2012 19:32
To: graphitone 17 of 31
I think the point is that Larson drew a Muhammed not the Muhammed since, as Peter says, the saying does not relate specifically to the prophet. Even the flaming towelheads aren't so stupid as to kill someone for that. Or are they?
To: 99% of gargoyles look like (MR_BASTARD) 18 of 31
Ahem.

quote: My original post
Or did Larson draw another Mohammed, and not the prophet? There's so many of them, it's bound to lead to confusion.
To: graphitone 19 of 31
I'm guessing it was Mohammed Ali.
To: Ken (SHIELDSIT) 20 of 31
Even if it was someone would still probably get up in arms about it. :C