Website advice

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 61 of 73
I can have a look. From what you've said I imagine the sidebar is floated and something in the main content has subtly increased in width and borked it :C
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 62 of 73

Did you fix it? As it seems fine to me (Chrome/Mac).

I have a couple of other comments about the site:

• Why is the sidebar content in an unordered list? It's not really a list - each section is distinct from the others.
  • The 'Reservations Advisable' bit shouldn't be part of the opening hours list/structure - ideally it'd be in its own <div> below the list (with its CSS specified in your stylesheet file, not inline).
  • You're using full-stop characters as separators between things, where a bullet ( &bull; which looks like this: • ) character would be more appropriate. If that's too big you could try the 'middle dot' character &middot; which looks like this: ·
  • The price list is only available as a PDF. This is very bad, never mind it being a "simplified web version". Just make an HTML version and put it on the site. Bonus points for adding @media print CSS to hide things other than the price list (and maybe opening hours) when the user prints the page.
  • What Xen said about the fonts. Also, be consistent: you're using a sans serif for the page logo, but not for any of the headings. There are also three different sizes of heading, when really two would be enough (main heading and sidebar heading).
  • More on fonts: combining Tahoma for body text and Arial for headings is not ideal. Going with the above theme, something like Georgia for headings and Tahoma for body would be better, or maybe Palatino/Palatino Linotype for headings and Lucida Sans Unicode/Lucida Grande for body (Windows/Mac names respectively). Book Antiqua is an alternative to Palatino Linotype - it looks pretty much the same.
EDITED: 16 May 2011 09:56 by CAER
To: ALL63 of 73
Thanks Caer for the advise. I was on a bit of a steroid rampage last night so no wonder I fooked things.

The problem I have is actually viewing the site in Dreamweaver when editing. The site once loaded on a browser looks fine but its a right pain to properly visualise the site when things are not in place in Dreamweaver.

So does anyone have Dreamweaver cs to have a look at the original? I have compaired style sheets with my original and can't see much difference. I expect it is what Steve has mentioned regarding a width of something.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 64 of 73

Looks like ya still a bit fucked now from that crap post.

Better get some food and calm down.

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 65 of 73
My first reaction to that is "stop using Dreamweaver". You'll have a much better understanding of the page structure if you code it by hand, and you'll be better able fix problems (CSS/browser foibles notwithstanding).

Then again I've never used Dreamweaver.
To: af (CAER) 66 of 73
I like ot use Dreamweaver as I am not good at visualising what I have typed in notepad, its just the way I taught myself.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 67 of 73
Fair enough, and to be honest it'd be hard to transition from an existing site anyway. You'd probably find, though, that if you start out doing it by hand you'll have a much easier time visualising it.

And I wouldn't recommend Notepad, it's awful for code editing. I liked ConTEXT quite a lot before I managed to get over Vim's learning wall (now I have a hard time using anything but Vim - everything else feels awkward and slow). I wouldn't recommend Vim if this is a one-off thing, mind - it's only worth learning if you're gonna be coding full-time.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 68 of 73
>I am not good at visualising what I have typed in notepad.

That's why you run a localhost web server, so you can preview your work rendered in real browsers. Anything less is just uncivilized.

Also, notepad is at the other extreme of functionality, one step above (barely) the green crayon. Try something like textpad in Windows -- it has syntax highlighting, and excellent re search and replace.
EDITED: 16 May 2011 11:27 by DSMITHHFX
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 69 of 73

Yep.

Save....refresh....save....refresh etc etc

To: ANT_THOMAS 70 of 73
Coding is tedious...
To: CHYRON (DSMITHHFX) 71 of 73
Not necessarily, depends what you're working on.
To: af (CAER) 72 of 73
Ahh, sorry my notepad of choice i notepad++ been using it for ages.
To: af (CAER) 73 of 73

Shhh....

;-)