Website advice

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 37 of 73
s'looking nice, well done.

I would move the menu below the header, as Matt says. The darker pink line could be wider and have the menu in it, for instance. I reckon the menu buttons themselves might look nicer if they changed shade on rollover, rather than the text.
To: ALL38 of 73
Thank you guys for the advice and encouragement. I will take on your pointers and change the site accordingly.

Pete, there are two pages missing due to them no being created yet, I didn’t want to get too far into it and then find the site sucks balls and I had to start again.
The About Us page is just a quick mockup and will contain the primary contact and information details, the rest of the info will go into the treatment section. I will also crop the staff photo as suggested (these are professional photos the owner paid for)

As for the logo, I designed the original, and I hate it so I really didn’t want to reuse it. I will have to do a new one but let’s see what the client has to say first.

As for the apache server version, it’s on easily.co.uk so I guess I will need to contact them to upgrade it!

Let’s see what I can do tonight after dinner.

Cheers all

Oh and the roids are really kicking in today, just had to tell HR and my boss about whats going on, not the best of meetings, I felt like a druggy being interrogated by the police :|
To: ALL39 of 73
Hello lovely peeps, the drugs have worn off and I feel almost calm.

So, I made the sugguested changes and now I am rather happy with it
http://www.beautyattiffanys.com/wip

I need help with the opening times bit,
quote:
Opening Hours - be good to align the times instead of having them wiggling.
(It's ok to use a two-column headerless table for this, although a dl might be best fit.)

I expect its simple but I a bit of help would not go a miss.

I updated the about us page to reflect what I really wanted on there. Cropped the slide show images and added the 1px boarder to the two photo as PB sugguested, oh and cropped the staff photo, which looks loads better now but I can't get it to centre. I combed through again for spelling but I expect I have missed something.

I still need to decide how to do the price list and treatment pages. The price list is the one I am finding hard to decide what to do, I really just want a page of prices but that might look a bit cluttered.

Thanks again for the help, I really hope this is what she is looking for.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 40 of 73
S'alright is that.

Lose that horrible typeface on the phone number if possible. Too many fonts clashing - sans, serifed and script. Too much. Italicised sans would look nicer I think.

As for the opening times. Just a good old fashioned table. It's tabular data so even PB can't complain.

code:

<table>
<tr>
<td>blah:</td><td>10pm-yes</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>blah2:</td><td>yes-yes</td>
</tr>
etc.
</table>

If you don't want to do that just use divs of a fixed width for the day column.
EDITED: 21 Mar 2011 22:50 by X3N0PH0N
To: Drew (X3N0PH0N) 41 of 73
Oi! I was the one that suggested it, why would I complain?

The "most correct" markup is probably a definition list (it's defining opening hours), but it can also be seen as tabular data, which is what the table tag is for, so it's perfectly fine to use.

Meaningless Divs would make me smack you in the face though. :P
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 42 of 73
Personally, I would change the opening hours HTML to this:

HTML code:
<li>
  <h2>Opening Hours</h2>
  <ul id="opening_hours">
    <li>10am - 4pm<span>Monday</span></li>
    <li>10am - 8pm<span>Tuesday</span></li>
    <li>10am - 8pm<span>Wednesday</span></li>
    <li>9:30am - 8pm<span>Thursday</span></li>
    <li>9.30am - 6pm<span>Friday</span></li>
    <li>9am - 4pm<span>Saturday</span></li>
    <li>Closed<span>Saturday</span></li>
    <li><span>Reservations Advisable</span></li>
  </ul>
</li>

And add the following CSS rules:

CSS code:
#opening_hours li {
    text-align: right;
}

#opening_hours li span {
    float: left;
}

Everyone will have their preferred methods, that's what I tend to do where you want a simple left and right aligned text on the same line.
To: Matt 43 of 73
Cheers Matt, I used your code as it helps me understand the CSS a bit more. I don't know why the bottom # Reservations Advisable is striked through.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 44 of 73
It's not striked-through, it's the border on the list-item. You can "fix" it by putting a clearer inside that last list-item. It's odd that it didn't do that when I tested the code before posting it. Ho hum.

HTML code:
<ul>
  <li>
    <span>Reservations Advisable</span>
    <div style="clear: both"></div>
  </li>
</ul>

Also, I've noticed you've got an empty list and list item below the opening hours which is making Firefox 4.0 show an empty white box with the list icon in it.
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 45 of 73

that slide show on the 'home' page is a bit jumpy, like 1 frame is out of alignment (vista, IE8)

[edit] it's every time it does a transition, the whole image jumps up left - looks like about 1 pixel

EDITED: 21 Mar 2011 23:30 by JONCOOPER
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 46 of 73
Don't know if anyone else has pointed it out, but you are both open and closed on Saturday.
To: koswix 47 of 73
That's probably my fault. Supposed to be Sunday.
To: Matt 48 of 73
D'oh.
To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 49 of 73

Easily want to charge a new hosting package on both my accounts to upgrade to there new apache servers. Mother Fuckers.

10 years I have been with them and never had a problem, there tech support is normally pretty good but its policy to charge for this sort of thing :|

Anger rising

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 50 of 73
Policy is not immutable; tell them to change it.

To: Peter (BOUGHTONP) 51 of 73

I fucking hate that phrase. Had a row in curries the other month (Which I won, natch - new washing machine thank you very much!)

Her: "I'm sorry sir, I can't help you any further."
Me: "No, you won't help me - big difference."
Her: "But it's policy."
Me: "Set by who?"
Her: "The company."
Me: "Great, you can change it then."

It went on for a bit, but to cut a long story short - instead of me paying them to replace my broken washing machine, they did it for free and gave ME money for my troubles.

It's like contracts.

"But, sir, it's in the contract - there's nothing I can do."
"Well, the contract is between you and I - so as long as we agree, we can do what we like, can't we?"
"But..."

To: ALL52 of 73

Hello again peeps

I have not had much time to work on this site due to health and work load but I have manged to decide on how to do the price list.

http://www.beautyattiffanys.com/wip

A nice PDF to download and treasure for ever and ever. It makes sense to just PDF the latest price list and upload it quickly.

The client is happy so far and has only asked for a few changes which I have done (including the colour, she wanted lilak instead of pink, erg, so I tried it and failed it immediatly, she understood)

One of the slideshow pictures needs redoing as its squashed and I really can not decide on how to do the treatment page. I have asked the client for more information on the treatments she wants advertised (I have no idea what most of them are)

I also can't decide about the top menu buttons. Will it look better to get rid of the two black dividers or leave them floating? And for the life of me I cant get rid of them without the site buggering up.
I have until end of next week to finish it as I then start my chemo drug month and am expecting to be a bit ill.

Any advice would be appriciated as always

</blog>

To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 53 of 73
is that slideshow meant to be jumping up and to the left every time it does a transition? - it seems quite peculiar
To: Wattsy (SLAYERPUNX) 54 of 73
I would add a link to Adobe Reader too, but otherwise I've never had much of a problem with PDF pricelists.etc, especially for restaurant menus and similar things.
To: JonCooper 55 of 73
I don't see this jump when transitioning mate.
To: steve 56 of 73
Thank you, will add that.